Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 29

Thread: Cabinet Size, Cubic Feet, Ports, for Altec 803b bass speaker

  1. #11
    Junior Hostboard Member SanJoseMichael's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 25th, 2016
    Posts
    13
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Cabinet Size, Cubic Feet, Ports, for Altec 803b bass spe

    This is more complex than I'm capable of understanding: I will stick to 1962 Altec designs intended for the 16 ohm drivers I have (803b, 804a + 811B) and N-800E.

    Found a fairly compact plan here, figure 24

    http://www.lansingheritage.org/image...ign/page13.jpg

    Thanks for your help!

  2. #12
    Senior Hostboard Member GM's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 26th, 2002
    Location
    Chamblee, Ga.
    Posts
    4,967
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    48 Post(s)

    Re: Cabinet Size, Cubic Feet, Ports, for Altec 803b bass spe

    You're welcome!

    Strictly generic old tech reflex for low power vintage consumer tube systems. Not bad, but DIYers can more performance 'bang/buck':

    Max HxWxD cab you can tolerate?

    Horn in cab or set on top an option?

    Average seated ear height?

    GM
    Loud is Beautiful if it's Clean! As always though, the usual disclaimers apply to this post's contents.

  3. #13
    Junior Hostboard Member SanJoseMichael's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 25th, 2016
    Posts
    13
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Cabinet Size, Cubic Feet, Ports, for Altec 803b bass spe

    I will most likely use my Magnavox 175 tube amp to drive the speakers until I get to the Scott 299 tube amp. Currently using a spare NAD 3225PE amp. Listening levels fairly low.

    "Figure 24" is about as big as I can go, about 24 wide, 36 tall, 20 deep.

    And, horns mounted external, on top, would be fine.

  4. #14
    Senior Hostboard Member gdmoore28's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 25th, 2014
    Location
    Arkansas
    Posts
    160
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Cabinet Size, Cubic Feet, Ports, for Altec 803b bass spe

    Quote Originally Posted by SanJoseMichael View Post

    "Figure 24" is about as big as I can go, about 24 wide, 36 tall, 20 deep.

    And, horns mounted external, on top, would be fine.


    A little less than 10 cu ft. Isn't that about where you already are with either of the cabinets you have? If I remember correctly, the corner cab you have is about 7.5 cu. ft. The one you footnoted for the 803 is just under 8 cu. ft. Let me know if I'm reading this wrong. Just curious. Interested to watch what you do with these as I'm right on the verge of starting construction of cabs for my 416z speakers. (H"xW"xD"/1728=cu.ft.)

    GeeDeeEmm

  5. #15
    Junior Hostboard Member SanJoseMichael's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 25th, 2016
    Posts
    13
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Cabinet Size, Cubic Feet, Ports, for Altec 803b bass spe

    The cabinets I have are home made. The larger square one has an external size of 29 by 32 by 21, for about 15.5 cubic feet, internal size smaller of course. About as big as a washing machine, I think. The corner cabinet measures 42 inches across the longest diagonal on top. Way too big.

  6. #16
    Hostboard Member Petro's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 9th, 2016
    Location
    Southern new jersey
    Posts
    70
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Cabinet Size, Cubic Feet, Ports, for Altec 803b bass spe

    Not sure if this is what your looking for but this guy had built a nice small bass cabinet for his altec drivers. It's worth a read. I found it searching: petite onken plans

    http://digilander.libero.it/stevevis.../viso485e.html

  7. #17
    Junior Hostboard Member SanJoseMichael's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 25th, 2016
    Posts
    13
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Cabinet Size, Cubic Feet, Ports, for Altec 803b bass spe

    The "petite onken plans" look great, but they use a ALTEC 416-8Z, whereas I have 16-ohm 803b, don't believe it'd work for me.

  8. #18
    Senior Hostboard Member Elitopus1's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 26th, 2015
    Location
    Upstate NY
    Posts
    1,069
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    12 Post(s)

    Re: Cabinet Size, Cubic Feet, Ports, for Altec 803b bass spe

    Its the same woofer besides the impedence. You would just have to adjust the xover values

    - - - Updated - - -

    416Z=416A minus the magnet cover

  9. #19
    Senior Hostboard Member gdmoore28's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 25th, 2014
    Location
    Arkansas
    Posts
    160
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Cabinet Size, Cubic Feet, Ports, for Altec 803b bass spe

    Quote Originally Posted by Elitopus1 View Post
    Its the same woofer besides the impedence. You would just have to adjust the xover values

    - - - Updated - - -

    416Z=416A minus the magnet cover

    Sure about that????? The 416 has treated cloth surround and DRAMATICALLY different T/S parameters.

    GeeDeeEmm

  10. #20
    Senior Hostboard Member Elitopus1's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 26th, 2015
    Location
    Upstate NY
    Posts
    1,069
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    12 Post(s)

    Re: Cabinet Size, Cubic Feet, Ports, for Altec 803b bass spe

    No I am not sure about anything when it comes to Altec. I have not seen an 803b with a paper hinge though. Maybe the early ones?
    I know the 803a started out with phenolic spiders and paper hinge. Then they went to a cloth spider and paper hinge. Then the 803b had a cloth spider and treated cloth surround (either red or black). The later 803b should be the same as a 416a/416z

    To the OP, do your 803b woofers have the treated cloth surrounds?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.